Sunday 23 January 2011

Out of my comfort zone


I went way out of my comfort zone this week and it felt scary...

A few years ago I ran a series of workshops at the drinks company, Diageo. They were a hit, we got wonderful feedback, everyone felt calm and energised at the end of them and I met a group of lovely people.

Quick flashback...

So, here's my secret... I have never had 'a job'.

Well, that's not strictly true. I worked for Electra/Asylum and CBS Records in Los Angeles when I was in my early twenties in the art department working on album covers (such fun), but since then I've always been self-employed.

When I created Life Clubs seven years ago, I never imagined the workshops being used by corporates and now, even though Life Clubs has been run in lots of corporates who have all loved the workshops, there's still that fearful little voice going round in my head saying 'What do you know about the life of someone with a job?', 'How can you bluff it with an HR person and say you understand their problems?' 'Stick to what you know'.

As our workshop of 24th January is all about those beliefs we have about ourselves that limit us, I decided to take action. I met the lovely man who came along to all my workshops at Diageo and asked him what I could do about getting repeat business after all that lovely feedback.

He welcomed me with open arms and, the moment I left, emailed two members of the HR team and the lady who ran the Women's Network introducing Life Clubs with effusive praise.

Don't sit (like me) waiting for three years for the phone to ring, just make that call. Leave your comfort zone for pastures new.

I went way out of my comfort zone this week and it felt scary... and wonderful!

See you this week at Life Clubs to work on your beliefs.

Hope you're having a great weekend,
Nina
Founder Life Clubs
PS If you're in a wonderful relationship, are over 25 and have been together for more than 18 months, please do answer this sex in relationships survey ... thanks.

2 comments :

Tamsin@nudgeme said...

Hi Nina

Just read your post on leaving your comfort zone and it really struck a chord ... you are so right it's only by ignoring that chattering voice and just picking up the phone or arranging a meeting that makes things happen. My motto this year is 'think and do' for that very reason. I've also always tended to focus my coaching on working with individuals and smaller businesses, rather than corporates, which I love, but I think a small part of this is also due to the comfort zone issue...Anyway, I always enjoy your blog Nina and thanks for the reminder!

ATB Tamsin

Life Clubs said...

Thank you for your kind words. Yes, go for those corporates if that's what you love x

Post a Comment