Sunday 7 October 2007

Biting My Tongue (or my keypad)

"If you haven't got anything nice to say, come sit next to me." So said one of the ladies in Steel Magnolias (and several of my friends as well).

So good luck to Kim.

I've found myself in a situation this week where I've got nothing good to say. I'm in a book club and the book I'm reading is totally grating on my nerves. I think it's overwritten. The characters are all despicable, whiny, spoiled twits and all need a good slap upside their privileged heads. And the narrative voice is condescending.

The critics love it, and the author has won many awards. I think that being married to one of the world's premier literary critics doesn't hurt her cause, but that could be me just being my cynical self.

Nick Hornby once wrote that there are too many good books out there to read something you don't like. Normally, I'd take his advice on this one and bin the book. But in this case, I'm going to plow through. I've already joined in the group discussion (which the author is a part of) and I'm really hoping for some a-ha redemptive moment.

Plus, every week, when I talk Life Clubbers through the creativity spoke of the Balance Chart, I talk about trying new things. So I'm reading this like a writer ... trying to keep an open mind, pay attention to her craft (her CV indicates she's no slouch) and try not to be too bitchy in my discussion so that I can gleam some insights from a critically successful novelist.

Just because I don't like something doesn't mean I can't learn from it.

And when I finish it, I'm reading this week's Heat from cover to cover.

Bob
Marylebone Life Club

0 comments :

Post a Comment