Sunday 20 July 2008

We're all cagey about something


I was accused this week of being cagey and yes, of course, we're probably all cagey up to a point (and, he was right, I was being cagier than usual). Most cagey are Heinz and Coca Cola and other large brands who wouldn't have their ketchup or fizzy drink exclusivity without being cagey about their recipes, but it's not particularly a word I would have chosen to describe myself.

But it told me an awful lot about the person who used that word of me. Because his behaviour had been feeling a little suspicious, as if he was wanting to hide something from me and his use of that word just confirmed it for me.

The words we use about others are the words that best describe ourselves and sometimes it feels hard to take that on board. Every time you're admiring someone's persistence or intelligence or charm, you're noticing attributes that you too possess and, similarly, if you notice their sarcasm or temper or jealousy it's because they are an inherent part of you too.

So just start observing what you're thinking about others and see if they're not words you could use to describe yourself. And, similarly, start observing the words others use to describe you and see if they don't describe themselves with those words too.

And, don't be too cagey about what you're thinking about this theory - just enjoy it.

I hope you have a wonderful week,
Nina
Founder Life Clubs

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

Interesting post, Nina. It reminds me a lot of "The Work" by Byron Katie.

Life Clubs said...

Thanks Abi for your kind words. That sounds like a book I'd like to read. Nina

Post a Comment