Saturday 28 March 2009

Turning fright to delight


This picture reminds me of my father. At his funeral someone made a speech about him saying that he was neither famous nor powerful nor rich, but that his life was like a stone thrown into water, he created an impact on the first circle around him which in turn created a larger impact and so on. My father was the first splash and the way he touched everyone he met was passed on and on and on.

I've always liked that idea - that the thoughts and actions of one person spread outwards to influence many and I think it has other uses. This week's workshop is about fear and to my mind, a great way to overcome fear is to see moving forward like a stone being thrown into water.

Let's say I'm frightened of public speaking. I feel the best thing is to throw myself (not necessarily literally - though it may feel like that) into the water. Once I've done that and made my first speech, my courage will grow, like the ripples grow, until I can make more and more and more speeches.

If there's anything you feel frightened of, come and work with us this week on turning your fright into delight. Enjoy being that stone - and those ripples.

Looking forward,
Nina

0 comments :

Post a Comment