Thursday 14 May 2009

I'm still procrastinating


Yet again I was about to start writing my chapter when I found this photo in my in-box.

It's of me talking at the National Mentoring Consortium Awards Ceremony on May 1st. I spoke a little about mentoring and then I handed out an award. It was very exciting and a definite first for me, going to an awards ceremony - even though I think I was the only person there who didn't actually get an award.

Joking aside, it was totally inspirational being there. I wish I'd had a mentor when I was younger - actually I'd like one now. The university graduates who were there - most of them having only arrived in the UK a few years ago, spoke eloquently and warmly of their mentors. They acknowledged that they'd achieved so much more with the help of their mentors than they could have done without. It was a great event and wonderful of those people who give of their services to mentor.

My mentors have always come in all shapes and sizes, from my 10 year old son to my 93 year old mother and a whole load of people I've met on the way. But I like the idea of someone being there for you and holding your hand through thick and thin. Maybe we could just start an informal mentoring system. How's about asking someone you really respect if they'll mentor you - or maybe offering your services to another.

Or shall we just meet at Life Clubs, the random (because you never know who your mentor will be) peer-mentoring system.
See you there... when I've finished my chapter,
Nina

0 comments :

Post a Comment