Saturday 29 March 2008

HEADCASE


I had always thought that this weeks topic, 'Fright to Delight', would never relate to me. I had delighted in living a fearless life, or so I thought. I had parachuted, swam for miles (why?), climbed heights, abseiled canyons, ridden scary horses, paddled white water and never, never, never turned down a dare. Yer, then I grew up. (Really!)

What is it about age that robs us (me) of our fearlessness? What is it about age that sees many of my fears expressed through my hair!! Weird I know, but we can never really hide from our fears entirely, they will always find us out - and sometimes in the strangest of ways.

Well early on there were the 'Bad Hair days' - If my hair looked anything less than I was happy with, you would all see how inadequate, scared, useless and deeply unattractive I was. So I worked on my self confidence and cut my hair short. Wind, rain, humidity and bed head all played havoc with my confidence.

Then came 'Bald Hair days'. My fear of being less than perfect and having to ask for help saw me struggling with four young children and suffering from Alopecia. For me this was reasonably quickly resolved by my vanity. My fear of being bald overcame my other fears and I took all the help I could get, some really great acupuncture and a lesson in humility.

Which brings us to today, 'Grey Hair Days'. I have for the last 10 years spent a fortune hiding my rapidly greying hair. I have always said I don't mind getting older, I just don't want to look it! Whats that all about then? Hmm, fear! Well you know in the last few months I've decided to grow up - again. I have given up the dye and am learning to love my grey. I am overcoming my fear that my hair shows up my lack of youth and exuberance and letting it express, my experience, maturity, brimming life and steely determination.

So, in short, I'm thinking Helen Mirren rather than Mrs Merton.

Its strangely liberating tackling your fears and sometimes more exhilarating than abseiling a Canyon.

Kimx
Leamington Lifeclub

0 comments :

Post a Comment