Wednesday 2 May 2007

Being happy now

Happiness often seems to be something that people are continually striving for, as if it is something elusive, only available in the future. I hear people actually say phrases such as ''When I get that new job, I will be happy'' or ''When I get a new partner, I will be happy''
or even ''When I make a million, I will be happy.''

We can choose to be happy now. For me, it is a way of thinking and being and appreciating the present. Yes, I agree, gratitude really does help and choosing to appreciate what you have, right now, this very moment.

For example, for me, just sitting still in the sun with my eyes closed (in the middle of a 10 mile walk in the countryside) on Sunday helped me to really tune in and hear the sounds of the birds, feel the grass under me, the warmth of the sun on my skin and the wind on my face.

If my group of friends and I had carried on walking, we would not have experienced these things fully. Perhaps, we would have barely noticed them and taken them for granted
as we normally do. Indeed, some of my friends found it very difficult to just sit and do nothing: one was on the train back to London again, in her mind!

Other 'every-day' occurrences that can become 'happy' experiences for me, are the savouring of my cup of tea (I'm a bit of a tea-pot!), the taste of a glass of wine (well, perhaps not every day on this one) or the feel of freshly laundered bed-linen (would like to say that this was weekly, however...) and being naked with my lover (wish this was every day!)

Make the choice to be happy as you go about your day and I guarantee the quality of your life will improve.

With warm regards

Rachel x

0 comments :

Post a Comment