Sunday 13 May 2007

Overdoing it? Moi?

Looks like we're going to be thinking about trimming the fat this week then. Pun intended - this is both literal and metaphorical fat. I certainly have rather too much of the literal sort; wherever I go, I carry a brie tyre with me. Trimming my bacon would be a good idea. This I know, and happily pass on this advice to anyone who'll listen to it. But I have no sense at all that there's a causal link between large helpings and my own personal waistline.

On retreat this week, I had a bit of a revelation which connects with the time management we looked at last week. I've felt for some time that I'm great at ideas, but my weakness is the whole Doing thing. What I realised is that in fact, I'm very good at doing stuff; if it's in the diary, it'll get done. It's the executive stage, the picking which stones for each day that trips me up. My focus needs to be on decisions and planning.

This connects to this week's contemplation of excess too. One of the first things we do when dealing with excess is to decide where the lines are drawn: how much is too much, where can we make cutbacks, what could we actually do without altogether. That's the challenge for me - making the decisions. I could be perfectly happy with the weight I am, for example, or I could choose to loose 20lb. (That'd make it a lot easier going uphill on my bike.) Pick one and commit, Mark.

So it's simply a set of options. I just need to get clear about what actually constitutes eating the right amount for me - because the fact is, I haven't a clue and don't give it a thought. If I did, I'd probably be the one that dictates my weight, not the cheese counter.

I know other people will have different challenges with cutting down on things. What's interesting for me though is how one's own personal themes, strengths and weaknesses make repeat appearances in different Life Club workshops.

Now - what other choices am I hiding behind a cloud of indecision?

0 comments :

Post a Comment