Sunday 6 May 2007

Making space for the good stuff

Time management's not really one of my strengths. In particular I'm rubbish at drawing those lines that say 'This happens in this part of the day, that happens after lunch, and after X o'clock, no more working.' (It's currently 10pm on Sunday and I'm still doing this and I have a whole bunch of stuff to do before bedtime and... well, you get the picture.) Worst of all is making time for myself. It's all interconnected though, and the messier my organisation of work tasks and time gets, the more fallout there is on the rest of my day. What's more, these days all add up to ongoing, month-in-month-out temporal chaos and frustration. And the fallout lands on the other peopple and commitments in my life too.


The bottom line is that anything you want to do needs space to be done in. So an essential part of taking control of life is assigning the space to put the good stuff in, so it doesn't get left out. And for all the other stuff too, so it gets done and doesn't intrude on the good stuff's space. Not rocket science, but that doesn't mean it isn't easier said than implemented. The good news for me, and you if you're in any way a fellow sufferer, is that there's a great system in this week's workshop for getting on top of all that. I've found it really works, even for me.


This week I'm going to be doing this big-style - I'm going on retreat. Not quite the same as what the workshop's about, admittedly. Or is it? I'll be locking out everything else for a bit, so I can focus on certain things without pressure to do anything else. It's about ring-fencing time for things. Another thing going on retreat has in common with time management in the real world is that it's hard to say 'During this period of time, no!' to everything else that's not assigned to that time. The thing is that everything and everyone else can have their turn with your attention - and if it's one at a time, everyone gets more out of it.

Including you.

Have a great week

Mark

0 comments :

Post a Comment